[Call for applicants]The Internship Program in FY2017
The Internship Program in FY2017
This program is designed to financially support students who wish to participate in international collaborative and field research activities in universities, institutes, or companies in Japan or abroad for their future career development. The underlying objective of the program is to foster researchers with high expertise and broad perspectives, and promote an understanding of cross-disciplinary cooperation and social relationships.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM
An applicant conducting research activities must fulfill the following requirements:
1) An applicant must participate in collaborative or field research activities in universities, institutes, or companies in Japan or abroad.
2) An applicant must have a host professor or a person in charge at the receiving universities, institutes, or companies.
Research activities for merely participating in conferences or research surveys are not covered by this program.
3) An applicant must submit the Preliminary Report (Form 2-1) prior to departure and report on completion of internship program (Form 2-4) upon completion of the program.
Applicants must be enrolled in SOKENDAI (the Graduate University for Advanced Studies) as degreeseeking students, except for those taking a year or term off school. Students who have not yet
participated in this program or internship program are prioritized in the selection process.
PERIOD OF STUDY
As a rule, the period of stay is a minimum of 30 consecutive days. The participants must plan to return no later than March 7, 2018.
AMOUNT OF GRANT
A maximum of JPY 1,000,000 per grant
EXPENSES COVERED BY THE GRANT
1) One round-trip economy-class airfare
Travel expenses to/from the nearest (international) airport to the receiving university/institute/company
2) Accommodation or flat fee
i. In principle, participants must stay at accommodations other than hotels, such as an accommodation at a receiving university, a student’s dormitory, and a budget apartment.
Area : A maximum of JPY 6,440 per day
Area : A maximum of JPY 5,160 per day
Area : A maximum of JPY 4,640 per day
(Please refer to Form 1-3 “Area.”)
ii. If the place of stay abroad is at a hotel, the following fees are applied:
Area - JPY 12,800 per day
Area - JPY 10,320 per day
Area - JPY 9,280 per day
(Please refer to Form 1-3 “Areas.”)
In case the place of stay within Japan is at a hotel, the fee provided amounts to JPY 8,700 per day.
※ If staying in the same hotel,
If the staying is over 30 to 60 days, 90% of the accommodation fee per day is covered.
If the staying is over 60 days, 80% of the accommodation fee per day is covered.
3) Overseas travel insurance costs, including a liability coverage, for participants staying outside Japan (Participants must arrange their own insurance policy.)
4) Public transportation expense from city to city and visa fees, excluding passport fees, will be covered within the grant assigned.
5) Seminar costs, registration fees, and facility fees at the receiving university/institute/company will be covered within the grant assigned.
Note: Item 5 is not applicable to recipients of JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists.
On the basis of the application documents, the Committee for Education and Research reviews and approves applications and the amount for each grant. The number of grants approved will be distributed evenly among all departments. Applicants who have never been selected for the internship program or the short-stay abroad program will be given priority.
USING A COMBINED BUDGET
1) An applicant who wishes to use a portion of the budget from the Parent institute to which he/she belongs must confirm with the accounting department of the Parent institute whether it is acceptable.
2) When this program will be carried out in one trip, participants must formulate the plan clearly, allocate the tasks properly, and submit the details beforehand.
3) Applicants may obtain, among others, a scholarship or an external research fund on their own to combine with this fund.
1) ApplicationForm (Form1-1)
2) Letter of Recommendation (Form1-2)
3) Financial Plan (Form1-3)
4) Pledge (Form1-4)
5) Detailed Itinerary (Form1-5)
6) Copy of Letter of Acceptance at the receiving university/institute/company
Copy of the exchanged emails or documents between the applicant’s academic advisor and the host professor or person in charge at the receiving university/institute/company
7) Estimate for one round-trip airfare
8) Estimate for accommodation costs
9) Estimate for overseas travel insurance costs
10) A document itemizing the detailed estimates for executing the program relating to itm 6 and 7 in Guideline 6 “Expenses covered by the grant”.
※ If participants cannot submit any of the documents in items 7 to 10 by the application deadline, please inform the International Affairs Section.
1st selection: May 12, 2017 (Departure date should be on or after July 1, 2017)
2nd selection: July 14, 2017 (Departure date should be on or after September 1, 2017)
3rd selection: October 13, 2017 (Departure date should be on or after December 1, 2017)
※ The second selection may be cancelled if circumstances so warrant it.
Posted On 2017.04.06 By
Shonan Village, Hayama, Kanagawa 240-0193 Japan