Student Travel Expense Subsidies
Travel expense subsidies cover activities for regular courses that promote educational and research activities beyond the framework of SOKENDAI’s programs and contribute to SOKENDAI’s philosophy of fostering researchers with internationally-recognized and advanced research qualities and broad perspectives in fundamental academic fields. SOKENDAI will provide subsidies for all or part of expenses in accordance with SOKENDAI regulations based on applications from the students registered in the course.
1. Objectives of the Subsidies
Based on applications from the students, subsidies will be paid to the SOKENDAI regular students (excluding students on leave of absence) registered in the course that corresponds to an educational activity eligible for support. Subsidies shall cover all or part of the expenses for roundtrip transportation and accommodation necessary for travel from the campus of the student’s program to the site where the course is being conducted in order to attend an intensive course, seminar, or the like.
SOKENDAI regular students (excluding students on leave of absence) shall be eligible. Educational activities eligible for subsidies for student travel expenses shall be as follows:
- Courses of SOKENDAI that require travel by a student for in-person attendance
- Other activities deemed by the SOKENDAI President as satisfying the standards for subsidies specified in Article 3 of “Regulations on Travel Expense Subsidies for Students Participating in Regular Curriculum Activities of the Graduate University for Advanced Studies, SOKENDAI.”
Excerpt of “Regulations on Travel Expense Subsidies for Students Participating in Regular Curriculum Activities of the Graduate University for Advanced Studies, SOKENDAI”
Article 3. Subsidy Standards
Travel expenses for the activities of regular courses that promote educational and research activities beyond the framework of SOKENDAI’s research fields and contribute to SOKENDAI’s philosophy of fostering researchers with internationally-recognized and advanced research qualities and broad perspectives in fundamental academic fields shall be eligible for subsidies.
3. Subsidy Amounts
The maximum amount of subsidies for travel expenses shall be 60,000 yen per course, with a maximum of two courses per student per year.
4. Documents to be Submitted
If a student wishes to receive a travel expense subsidy, the student must submit the documents listed below to his/her program office by the deadline specified separately.
5. Important Points concerning Travel Expenses
- If overnight stay(s) is/are necessary to participate in an intensive course, actual expenses will be paid based on the amounts indicated in the submitted receipts up to the maximum amounts specified below.
- Meals on each day of the course period are not covered by the travel subsidies and must be paid by the student.
- With regard to transportation expenses between the place of departure and the site of the class, if a one-way JR train ride exceeds 100 km, the transportation expenses will be calculated and paid based on the fare for a regular ticket with a student discount. Please perform the student discount certificate procedures in advance at his/her program office.
- Travel expenses (round-trip transportation and accommodation expenses) of eligible students will be subsidized in accordance with SOKENDAI rules. Expenses are paid by remittance to the specified financial institution account after SOKENDAI confirms attendance (attendance record) during the course period. The travel expenses are paid by reimbursement after payment by the student.
>> When staying at a lodging facility owned by the inter-university research institutes: Actual expenses up to a maximum of 4,350 yen per night
>>When staying at a lodging facility other than the above (e.g., private hotel, etc.): Actual expenses up to a maximum 8,700 yen per night
If it is confirmed that a false statement was made in an application, the student may be required to return the subsidy.
[Important Points concerning Overnight Stays]
- Overnight stay(s) before and/or after a course may be approved depending on the circumstances such as if it is necessary to leave early in the morning (before 7:00 a.m.) in order to arrive at the destination in time for the start of class or if the time of return after the end of the class will be late at night (after 10:00 p.m.). Please inquire in advance.
- No subsidy will be paid if lodging expenses are not incurred such as when staying with family or a friend.
- Expenses for meals such as breakfast incidental to overnight stay(s) must be paid by the student. Please submit an original receipt showing only the lodging expense to his/her program office after completing his/her travel without delay. If the total amount of expenses including lodging and meals is stated, please also submit a detailed statement that allows confirmation of each expense item.