Unique Assets of SOKENDAI
Unique doctoral programs
- Five-year and three-year Ph.D. programs
- Education programs carried out at cutting-edge research institutes
- Tailor-made education programs
- Flexible education programs for working professionals and foreign students
Fostering advanced specialties and expertise
- Specialized education programs in diverse fields
- Supervision by leading researchers from each field
- Top-level collection of archives, equipment, and facilities provided by Inter-University Research Institutes
- “SOKENDAI Freshman Course,” an intensive course for all first-year students
- Joint education among departments and schools
- Cross-disciplinary education through distance learning systems
- “Joint School Seminars” for interdisciplinary research exchanges among departments
Achieving international competitiveness
- Education at the hub of international research collaborations
- Courses focused on academic communication
- “SOKENDAI Short-term Research Abroad & Long-term Internship Program”
Creating advanced research fields
- Interdepartmental education programs
- International research collaborations coordinated by School of Advanced Sciences
- University-wide “Science and Society” program
Establishment Objectives / Purpose of Establishment
In recent years, there has been a strong demand for the promotion of original and international research and the opening up of advanced scientific fields that transcend the boundaries of existing scientific disciplines.
The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, the first of its kind in Japan, was established to cultivate researchers capable of responding to such demands. It offers the advantage of enabling students to carry out research in the most advanced research environment of inter-university research institutes, which operate under the auspices of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). These institutes conduct advanced research in a variety of fields, and play a central role in the promotion of joint research.
The Graduate University for Advanced Studies was established to foster creative international researchers with wide-ranging vision who are capable of leading the latest trends in research.
The University will promote original and international research and open up new scientific fields that transcend the boundaries of existing scientific disciplines.
Inter-University Research Institutes
Inter-University Research Institutes (referred to as “IURI” hereafter) house large scale, high-tech facilities, high-level laboratories, or various academic data and archives. They are accessible to any university researchers who would collaboratively interact with each other, using these facilities.
Have you ever heard, either on TV or in a newspaper, of the Subaru telescope, on the big island of Hawaii, or of the observation vessel, SHIRASE, heading to the South Pole? Both of them are related to IURI, affiliated with SOKENDAI; the Subaru telescope was established by the National Astronomical Observatory, and the polar observation is carried out by the National Institute of Polar Research.
Most of the research activities involve fundamental scientific studies which demand large-scale facilities and a large budget. IURI have a great number of researchers and a large amount of research grants are made available to carry out original and advanced scientific research.
Advanced specialist education in research facilities and general education cultivating broad views
Ph. D. programs at the Graduate University for Advanced Studies provide an ideal education and research environment, offering direct access to large-scale or special experiment/observation facilities, as well as academic materials and data at world-class research institutes in Japan (Inter-University Research Institutes). In our Ph. D. programs, students can be in daily communication with cutting-edge researchers in Japan and abroad as one of the leading international research centers. Having 2-3 faculty members per student, SOKENDAI offers, in a custom-made manner, both advanced specialist education and general education cultivating broad views.