Unique Assets of SOKENDAI
Unique doctoral courses and education programs
- Three- or five-year term Ph. D. courses
- Education programs on research sites in individual “Inter-University Research Institutes”
- Tailor-made man-to-man education programs
- Admission programs for foreigners and full-fledged members of society
Fostering advanced specialties and expertise
- Supervision of student researches by top-level researchers in individual fields
- Specialty-education programs in diverse research fields
- Nagakura Research Incentive Award / SOKENDAI Scientist Award / Future Scientist Award
- Practical use of collections of archives, unique equipments and facilities in “Inter-University Research Institutes”
Cultivating wide vision
- Offerings of the SOKENDAI Freshman Course
- Joint education and research activities among Departments or Schools
- Cross-disciplinary education through distance learning systems
- Utilization of internship systems in Japan and abroad
Achieving international competitiveness
- Education under international atmosphere by top-level researchers of science and technology
- Education programs of oral presentation skills
- Student programs for oversea research experiences
- Joint education with “the International Priority Graduate Programs (PGP) – Advanced Graduate Courses for International Students-“
Creating new inter-disciplinary and cutting-edge fields
- Offering of the Interdepartmental Education Program for new fields
- Promotion of four key operations through the Center for the Promotion of Integrated Sciences
- Promotion of “Science and Society program”
- Construction of academic networks among SOKENDAI alumni (SOKENDAI-Anet)
Establishment Objectives / Purpose of Establishment
In recent years, there has been a strong demand for the promotion of original and international research and the opening up of advanced scientific fields that transcend the boundaries of existing scientific disciplines.
The Graduate University for Advanced Studies, the first of its kind in Japan, was established to cultivate researchers capable of responding to such demands. It offers the advantage of enabling students to carry out research in the most advanced research environment of inter-university research institutes, which operate under the auspices of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). These institutes conduct advanced research in a variety of fields, and play a central role in the promotion of joint research.
The Graduate University for Advanced Studies was established to foster creative international researchers with wide-ranging vision who are capable of leading the latest trends in research.
The University will promote original and international research and open up new scientific fields that transcend the boundaries of existing scientific disciplines.
Inter-University Research Institutes
Inter-University Research Institutes (referred to as “IURI” hereafter) house large scale, high-tech facilities, high-level laboratories, or various academic data and archives. They are accessible to any university researchers who would collaboratively interact with each other, using these facilities.
Have you ever heard, either on TV or in a newspaper, of the largest single mirror telescope in the world, the Subaru telescope, on the big island of Hawaii, or of the observation vessel, the Shirase, heading to the South Pole? Both of them are related to IURI, affiliated with SOKENDAI; the Subaru telescope was established by the National Astronomical Observatory, and the polar observation is carried out by the National Institute of Polar Research.
Most of the research activities involve fundamental scientific studies which demand large-scale facilities and a large budget. IURI have a great number of researchers and a large amount of research grants are made available to carry out original and advanced scientific research.
Advanced specialist education in research facilities and general education cultivating broad views
Ph. D. programs at the Graduate University for Advanced Studies provide an ideal education and research environment, offering direct access to large-scale or special experiment/observation facilities, as well as academic materials and data at world-class research institutes in Japan (Inter-University Research Institutes). In our Ph. D. programs, students can be in daily communication with cutting-edge researchers in Japan and abroad as one of the leading international research centers. Having 2-3 faculty members per student, SOKENDAI offers, in a custom-made manner, both advanced specialist education and general education cultivating broad views.