SOKENDAI Special Researcher (Pioneering Research Type)
The SOKENDAI Special Researcher Program (Pioneering Research type) is designed to foster human resources who will be responsible for the future of science, technology, and innovation in Japan. SOKENDAI students who are independently conducting original and challenging research that is not bound by the framework of existing research fields, departments, schools or other organizations will be appointed as Special Researchers and will be provided with research incentive and research expenses.
This program is subsidized by the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) under the "Support for Pioneering Research Initiated by the Next Generation."
2. Requirements for applicants
Applicants are required to meet all of the following conditions at the start of appointment (An estimation can be made at the time of application).
1) They should have been enrolled for 24 to 48 months in a 5-year doctoral course (excluding transfer students), or have transferred to the third year of the 5-year doctoral course and have been enrolled for 6 to 24 months.
2) They should not receive a scholarship under the government-sponsored international student system, a research grant from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) for special researchers, or any foreign government-financed scholarship.
3) They should not be a SOKENDAI Special Researcher (Field-Specific type).
4) They should not receive stable income such as salary or executive remuneration at a level sufficient to cover living expenses (JPY 2.4 million/year (before tax) or more) from SOKENDAI, a parent institute, or a company.
5) They are requested to participate in "SOKENDAI Student Dispatch Program", "SOKENDAI Dual Degree Program", or "Internal Joint Advising Program".
*Even if you are expected to meet the qualifications at the time of application, your application may be canceled if you are unable to meet the qualifications due to a leave of absence or other reasons.
*Students in the long-term course system are not eligible to apply.
*The period of a leave of absence (calculated by rounding up to the nearest month) during the doctoral course is not counted within the enrollment period. However, if the total leave of absence is less than six months, it will be counted within the enrollment period.
*International students are also eligible for the support, but it is assumed that the students will have the intention and ability to be involved in the creation of science, technology and innovation in Japan after taking degrees.
* It is possible to receive reward for Research Assistant (RA)・Teaching Assistant (TA) together with the support from SOKENDAI Special Researcher Program (Pioneering Research Type).
* It is possible to apply together with "Field-Specific Type" but if you pass both tests, you will be appointed as a special researcher for one of them at the discretion of the university.
3. Period of appointment
The period obtained by subtracting the period of enrollment up to the day before the start of appointment from the standard period of study stipulated in Article 21 of the School Regulations.
*If you complete the doctoral course and obtain a doctoral degree during the period, the appointment will be terminated at the end of month in which you obtain the degree.
1) Fellowship (for living expenses)
The amount to be paid for AY 2022 is listed below. Please note that the amount is subject to change.
JPY 190,000 per month
2) Research grant
To support the research plan described in the application form, a grant for research expenses (up to JPY 400,000 per year) will be provided.
*Additional research expenses may be provided in addition to the aforementioned amount, taking into consideration the individual research plan and the progress of the research.
*Please note that the above scholarship amounts are subject to change depending on the budget situation.